Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Politics on the school bus?????

I know, that sounds crazy doesn't it! Well it seems that the "hot topic" on my son's school bus the last week has been politics, and more specifically the candidates running for president. While I am glad that some of these school bus debates have sparked an interest in my son to learn about our country's political process and ask questions regarding the election, I am appalled at the reports that he has given me on what other kids say about the candidates. Even more shocking is that a kid punched my son on the bus today supposedly because my son likes McCain and this child preferred Obama. What on earth do third graders know about the presidential candidates anyway?????? Obviously not a whole lot and what they do know has been information that was most likely picked up from parents.

So begins my ranting...... please forgive.....

First and foremost I would like to say that I am not a politically minded person. I do vote. I have voted in every election since I have been of age. As an American it is not only my right but my duty to vote. As a woman I am aware of the many years my gender was suppressed and did not have the privilege to vote. Furthermore, I know that women were beaten and imprisoned when they protested because at that time they did not have the ability to vote. I do not at all take lightly the privilege of voting. With that being said the most important aspect of my life is that I am a Christian saved by God's unfathomable grace and Jesus' sacrifice for me (and you if you are unsaved) on the cross of Calvary. That means I believe that one should know the facts, research to the best of one's ability, and vote according to biblical principles. If you know me you know that I am extremely conservative, a product of my faith. Every American that has the right to vote should vote. I am aware that not everybody is going to agree on whom should be president..... THAT IS WHY WE ARE VOTING!!

As a Christian I DO NOT feel that it is right to bash candidates. I DO NOT feel it is right to forward e-mails that make claims about a candidate that may not be true and one cannot verify. I do not agree with Senator Obama's policies or beliefs. HOWEVER, if he is voted in as America's next president I will stand behind him and pray for him. In addition I DO NOT know either one of the candidates personally and even if I did it is not my place to judge them. The bible commands Christians to love one another..... even our enemies and those we are not fond of.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:" Luke 6:26-37

I am by no means perfect, none of us are, and I know that these verses are things that I struggle with daily. In my heart of hearts I so desperately want to serve God and love others the way that He loves me. I especially want my son to see these traits demonstrated in my life. A wise man once said "children will catch more at home then they can be taught at church or school." So, what is my son catching from me regarding the election? What are the other children on the bus catching from their parents? Am I demonstrating a proper love for others in the eyes of my child? As Christian parents the way in which we enact with and love our children is a model for the relationship they will have one day with the Lord.

I will be praying hard that the Lord will help me in these areas. After all my most important ministry is here at home.

I don't like all of this political bashing and what goes on during an election. This is my first election since being saved and am now seeing with different eyes and frankly it disgusts me! I know that I have to live in this world until the Lord comes back or takes me home, but according to Romans 12:2 I should not be conformed to the pattern of this world:
"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God"

Honestly, I am really glad that this election is about over!

I am stepping down from my soap box now :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your rant. I am now under conviction, thanks to you. hahaha Really though, thank you for sharing the scripture, it is all too often we allow these very words slip from our minds and treat others in ways we shouldn't. We are an example for Christ on earth and if we can't treat others any better then we aren't much of an example for His sake. God bless you Jillian and I'm praying the children are getting a better example at home than what has been displayed on the school bus.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Politics on the school bus?????

I know, that sounds crazy doesn't it! Well it seems that the "hot topic" on my son's school bus the last week has been politics, and more specifically the candidates running for president. While I am glad that some of these school bus debates have sparked an interest in my son to learn about our country's political process and ask questions regarding the election, I am appalled at the reports that he has given me on what other kids say about the candidates. Even more shocking is that a kid punched my son on the bus today supposedly because my son likes McCain and this child preferred Obama. What on earth do third graders know about the presidential candidates anyway?????? Obviously not a whole lot and what they do know has been information that was most likely picked up from parents.

So begins my ranting...... please forgive.....

First and foremost I would like to say that I am not a politically minded person. I do vote. I have voted in every election since I have been of age. As an American it is not only my right but my duty to vote. As a woman I am aware of the many years my gender was suppressed and did not have the privilege to vote. Furthermore, I know that women were beaten and imprisoned when they protested because at that time they did not have the ability to vote. I do not at all take lightly the privilege of voting. With that being said the most important aspect of my life is that I am a Christian saved by God's unfathomable grace and Jesus' sacrifice for me (and you if you are unsaved) on the cross of Calvary. That means I believe that one should know the facts, research to the best of one's ability, and vote according to biblical principles. If you know me you know that I am extremely conservative, a product of my faith. Every American that has the right to vote should vote. I am aware that not everybody is going to agree on whom should be president..... THAT IS WHY WE ARE VOTING!!

As a Christian I DO NOT feel that it is right to bash candidates. I DO NOT feel it is right to forward e-mails that make claims about a candidate that may not be true and one cannot verify. I do not agree with Senator Obama's policies or beliefs. HOWEVER, if he is voted in as America's next president I will stand behind him and pray for him. In addition I DO NOT know either one of the candidates personally and even if I did it is not my place to judge them. The bible commands Christians to love one another..... even our enemies and those we are not fond of.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:" Luke 6:26-37

I am by no means perfect, none of us are, and I know that these verses are things that I struggle with daily. In my heart of hearts I so desperately want to serve God and love others the way that He loves me. I especially want my son to see these traits demonstrated in my life. A wise man once said "children will catch more at home then they can be taught at church or school." So, what is my son catching from me regarding the election? What are the other children on the bus catching from their parents? Am I demonstrating a proper love for others in the eyes of my child? As Christian parents the way in which we enact with and love our children is a model for the relationship they will have one day with the Lord.

I will be praying hard that the Lord will help me in these areas. After all my most important ministry is here at home.

I don't like all of this political bashing and what goes on during an election. This is my first election since being saved and am now seeing with different eyes and frankly it disgusts me! I know that I have to live in this world until the Lord comes back or takes me home, but according to Romans 12:2 I should not be conformed to the pattern of this world:
"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God"

Honestly, I am really glad that this election is about over!

I am stepping down from my soap box now :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your rant. I am now under conviction, thanks to you. hahaha Really though, thank you for sharing the scripture, it is all too often we allow these very words slip from our minds and treat others in ways we shouldn't. We are an example for Christ on earth and if we can't treat others any better then we aren't much of an example for His sake. God bless you Jillian and I'm praying the children are getting a better example at home than what has been displayed on the school bus.