Monday, September 21, 2009

Here Comes Fall....

Did you know that tomorrow is officially the 1st day of Fall? I'm very excited about that!!!:)!!!

I just love fall and everything about it. Especially pumpkins. Ok, I'm obsessed with anything pumpkin. As most of you probably know.

We will be celebrating the first day of fall by making pumpkin pancakes for breakfast then decorating the house after school/work. I promise to post pictures later this week and maybe share with you some of my new pumpkin recipes. Think.... pumpkin pie oatmeal.... mmmmm....


So, in a tribute to one of my favorite times of the year here are some pumpkin facts:

*Pumpkin’s are fruits and their blossoms are edible. They can be baked into breads, used as
edible garnishes, or even batter-dipped and fried.

*Pumpkin was one of the foods introduced by the Native Americans to the colonists. Native
Americans pounded strips of pumpkin flat, dried them, and wove them into mats for trading.
They also dried pumpkin for food.

*90% of the pumpkin is made of water. Illinois grows more pumpkins than any other state in
the country. It harvests nearly 12,300 acres of fruit every year.

*The earliest pumpkin pie made in America was quite different than the pumpkin pie we enjoy
today. Pilgrims and early settlers made pumpkin pie by hollowing out a pumpkin, filling the
shell with milk, honey and spices and baking it. (source)

*The largest pumpkin pie ever baked was in 2005 and weighed 2,020 pounds.

*Pumpkins were formerly considered a remedy for freckles and snakebites.

*Each year, growers compete for the honor of growing the world’s largest pumpkin. The largest
recorded pumpkin grown was on October 1, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Growers
Weighoff. It weighed 1,469 pounds, breaking all previous world records, and was grown by
Larry Checkon of North Cambria, Penn.

4 comments:

shauna said...

Any time I see anything pumpkin I instantly think of you... :)
I'm glad it's fall, now where's that wonderful fall weather?

Titus245 said...

WOW! Deep fried pumpkin!!! Now that is something we will have to try!! I see a new tradition to go alond with our deep fried turkey at thanksgiving!! COOL!

I love fall too! I always get so energized. I have many, many fond memories of falls passed. Call me weird but I always LOVED school! I loved back to school shopping with my mom, I love all the foods and colors and smells and sight and sounds of fall!! I have been examining the leaves up close for the tiniest hint of a color change! I rushed things just a little today and wore my "fall is here" outfit. A bright orange shirt and a skirt with reds, browns and everything in between. It felt SO good! :)

Hey, if anyone has a deep fried pumpkin recipe I'd love to see it!

Jillian said...

I try my best to stay away from the deep fried foods, but throw pumpkin in the party and hey, i'll be there, lol!!

I saw a neat idea in a magazine the other day to preserve those beautiful fall leaves. You just pick the pretty ones and dip them in wax and allow them to dry on paper. Then you can use them to decorate the house and re-use them next year! Maybe that's something you can do Gina, because you know that there aren't going to be many of those fall leaves down this way, lol!!

Shauna- You know me!!! And yes, I am soooooo ready to whip out my tights, sweaters, and jackets. Bring it on fall!!! I'm so glad that I may get to go home this year and get a does of really cold weather!!!

<3 you !!

Amber_Keever said...

I *always think of you when I see pumpkins! I also got a pumpkin spice candle for every room in my house so now I smell you all day too! It's a nice reminder to pray for friends. We're right by all kinds of farms so we're gonna find a real pumpkin patch and get a couple for pies and decorating. Maybe the great pumpkin will hear of your devotion and pay you a visit :)

Monday, September 21, 2009

Here Comes Fall....

Did you know that tomorrow is officially the 1st day of Fall? I'm very excited about that!!!:)!!!

I just love fall and everything about it. Especially pumpkins. Ok, I'm obsessed with anything pumpkin. As most of you probably know.

We will be celebrating the first day of fall by making pumpkin pancakes for breakfast then decorating the house after school/work. I promise to post pictures later this week and maybe share with you some of my new pumpkin recipes. Think.... pumpkin pie oatmeal.... mmmmm....


So, in a tribute to one of my favorite times of the year here are some pumpkin facts:

*Pumpkin’s are fruits and their blossoms are edible. They can be baked into breads, used as
edible garnishes, or even batter-dipped and fried.

*Pumpkin was one of the foods introduced by the Native Americans to the colonists. Native
Americans pounded strips of pumpkin flat, dried them, and wove them into mats for trading.
They also dried pumpkin for food.

*90% of the pumpkin is made of water. Illinois grows more pumpkins than any other state in
the country. It harvests nearly 12,300 acres of fruit every year.

*The earliest pumpkin pie made in America was quite different than the pumpkin pie we enjoy
today. Pilgrims and early settlers made pumpkin pie by hollowing out a pumpkin, filling the
shell with milk, honey and spices and baking it. (source)

*The largest pumpkin pie ever baked was in 2005 and weighed 2,020 pounds.

*Pumpkins were formerly considered a remedy for freckles and snakebites.

*Each year, growers compete for the honor of growing the world’s largest pumpkin. The largest
recorded pumpkin grown was on October 1, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Growers
Weighoff. It weighed 1,469 pounds, breaking all previous world records, and was grown by
Larry Checkon of North Cambria, Penn.

4 comments:

shauna said...

Any time I see anything pumpkin I instantly think of you... :)
I'm glad it's fall, now where's that wonderful fall weather?

Titus245 said...

WOW! Deep fried pumpkin!!! Now that is something we will have to try!! I see a new tradition to go alond with our deep fried turkey at thanksgiving!! COOL!

I love fall too! I always get so energized. I have many, many fond memories of falls passed. Call me weird but I always LOVED school! I loved back to school shopping with my mom, I love all the foods and colors and smells and sight and sounds of fall!! I have been examining the leaves up close for the tiniest hint of a color change! I rushed things just a little today and wore my "fall is here" outfit. A bright orange shirt and a skirt with reds, browns and everything in between. It felt SO good! :)

Hey, if anyone has a deep fried pumpkin recipe I'd love to see it!

Jillian said...

I try my best to stay away from the deep fried foods, but throw pumpkin in the party and hey, i'll be there, lol!!

I saw a neat idea in a magazine the other day to preserve those beautiful fall leaves. You just pick the pretty ones and dip them in wax and allow them to dry on paper. Then you can use them to decorate the house and re-use them next year! Maybe that's something you can do Gina, because you know that there aren't going to be many of those fall leaves down this way, lol!!

Shauna- You know me!!! And yes, I am soooooo ready to whip out my tights, sweaters, and jackets. Bring it on fall!!! I'm so glad that I may get to go home this year and get a does of really cold weather!!!

<3 you !!

Amber_Keever said...

I *always think of you when I see pumpkins! I also got a pumpkin spice candle for every room in my house so now I smell you all day too! It's a nice reminder to pray for friends. We're right by all kinds of farms so we're gonna find a real pumpkin patch and get a couple for pies and decorating. Maybe the great pumpkin will hear of your devotion and pay you a visit :)