I truly think this is the best stew, or even soup for that matter, that I have ever tasted! I almost ate the entire pot myself!! I found this recipe in a Pampered Chef cookbook called More Latin Flavor. So far I've cooked three recipes out of this book, this stew and two desserts, and they have all been amazing! I decided to cook my way through the entire book over the next two or three months, so I will keep you posted on my progress. I've always wanted to cook my way through a cookbook. Being a Pampered Chef consultant, I love that I can consider this as work!
Enjoy!
Chicken, Poblano and Tomatillo Stew
6 tomatillos, husks removed
2 cups water
3 roasted poblano peppers, divided (see Cook's Tip)
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
1 large onion
1 medium chayote, cored
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups fresh corn
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 cups chicken broth
Chopped radishes, chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream (optional)
1. Place tomatillos and water into large micro-cooker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-6 minutes or until soft; drain. Place tomatillos, one of the poblanos and cilantro into blender; blend until smooth. Coarsely chop remaining poblanos, onion and chayote; set chayote aside.
2. Heat oil in stockpot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper. Add chicken to stockpot; cook 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove chicken; set aside. Add corn stockpot; cook 2-3 minutes or until brown. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add pressed garlic and cumin; cook 20-30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatillo mixture and broth; cook 5-6 minutes.
3. Dice chicken. Add chicken, poblanos, chayote and remaining salt to stockpot. Simmer 5-7 minutes or until chayote is tender. Serve with radishes, cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (8 cups)
Cook's Tips:
To roast poblano peppers, place directly over an open-flame stove top and roast until completely charred and soft, turning to get an even roast. Place poblanos in classic batter bowl; cover and refrigerate. When cool, peel and remove seeds.
My Notes: I roasted the poblanos under my broiler, keeping an eye on them and turning them every few minutes to get them completely charred.
I think next time I will roast the tomatillos as well.
I think this can be made early in the day and allowed to simmer for a few hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Chicken, Poblano and Tomatillo Stew
I truly think this is the best stew, or even soup for that matter, that I have ever tasted! I almost ate the entire pot myself!! I found this recipe in a Pampered Chef cookbook called More Latin Flavor. So far I've cooked three recipes out of this book, this stew and two desserts, and they have all been amazing! I decided to cook my way through the entire book over the next two or three months, so I will keep you posted on my progress. I've always wanted to cook my way through a cookbook. Being a Pampered Chef consultant, I love that I can consider this as work!
Enjoy!
Chicken, Poblano and Tomatillo Stew
6 tomatillos, husks removed
2 cups water
3 roasted poblano peppers, divided (see Cook's Tip)
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
1 large onion
1 medium chayote, cored
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups fresh corn
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 cups chicken broth
Chopped radishes, chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream (optional)
1. Place tomatillos and water into large micro-cooker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-6 minutes or until soft; drain. Place tomatillos, one of the poblanos and cilantro into blender; blend until smooth. Coarsely chop remaining poblanos, onion and chayote; set chayote aside.
2. Heat oil in stockpot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper. Add chicken to stockpot; cook 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove chicken; set aside. Add corn stockpot; cook 2-3 minutes or until brown. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add pressed garlic and cumin; cook 20-30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatillo mixture and broth; cook 5-6 minutes.
3. Dice chicken. Add chicken, poblanos, chayote and remaining salt to stockpot. Simmer 5-7 minutes or until chayote is tender. Serve with radishes, cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (8 cups)
Cook's Tips:
To roast poblano peppers, place directly over an open-flame stove top and roast until completely charred and soft, turning to get an even roast. Place poblanos in classic batter bowl; cover and refrigerate. When cool, peel and remove seeds.
My Notes: I roasted the poblanos under my broiler, keeping an eye on them and turning them every few minutes to get them completely charred.
I think next time I will roast the tomatillos as well.
I think this can be made early in the day and allowed to simmer for a few hours.
Enjoy!
Chicken, Poblano and Tomatillo Stew
6 tomatillos, husks removed
2 cups water
3 roasted poblano peppers, divided (see Cook's Tip)
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
1 large onion
1 medium chayote, cored
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups fresh corn
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 cups chicken broth
Chopped radishes, chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream (optional)
1. Place tomatillos and water into large micro-cooker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-6 minutes or until soft; drain. Place tomatillos, one of the poblanos and cilantro into blender; blend until smooth. Coarsely chop remaining poblanos, onion and chayote; set chayote aside.
2. Heat oil in stockpot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper. Add chicken to stockpot; cook 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove chicken; set aside. Add corn stockpot; cook 2-3 minutes or until brown. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add pressed garlic and cumin; cook 20-30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatillo mixture and broth; cook 5-6 minutes.
3. Dice chicken. Add chicken, poblanos, chayote and remaining salt to stockpot. Simmer 5-7 minutes or until chayote is tender. Serve with radishes, cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (8 cups)
Cook's Tips:
To roast poblano peppers, place directly over an open-flame stove top and roast until completely charred and soft, turning to get an even roast. Place poblanos in classic batter bowl; cover and refrigerate. When cool, peel and remove seeds.
My Notes: I roasted the poblanos under my broiler, keeping an eye on them and turning them every few minutes to get them completely charred.
I think next time I will roast the tomatillos as well.
I think this can be made early in the day and allowed to simmer for a few hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment