Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beth Moore: The Hair Brush

I saw this video today and wanted to share it with you. For some reason blogger won't let me type under the video, so I'm gonna go ahead and post here first. BUT, I would much prefer you watch the video before reading what I have to say.

This video just brought me to tears. It prompted a heart to heart with my son and a discussion enabled me to gently remind him that although this is a hard time in our life God does have a plan and purpose for it.

As you can probably tell I haven't been much in the bloggy-mood lately. I have been so restless, bored, complacent, etc. Sick and tired, tired of being sick. This last round of chemo really set me back and I am just not bouncing back like I had hoped. I just have no energy to do the things I have to, therefore, I have no energy to do anything really. Top that off with not sleeping and you have a very unhappy Jill. It's been almost a year that I've been sitting on this couch recuperating from surgery and frankly I'm tired of it. The Lord has seen to clip my wings though and the only thing that gets me through the day is that hope within-my hope in Christ alone.

Last week I was at the Dr's office to get a shot and in the waiting room I met another young girl (I'm not sure how old she was but I would say early to mid-twenties) who also has cancer. She struck up a conversation with me and began to tell me how hard it was on her. She didn't seem to have any family close by or anywhere near the support system that I have. She said to me I just don't understand why some people suffer so much and other walk around perfectly happy and healthy. She had no hope whatsoever. I wanted to badly to witness to her. I knew that she just needed to come to know the Lord, but just as I started I was called back. I planned on continuing our conversation when I went back into the waiting room but she was gone. Please pray that the Lord puts me in her path again. I have those same thoughts too at times. Why do I have to suffer like this? Why are there other evil, unsaved people in perfect health? But that's where it stops for me because I know in my heart that as soon as my thinking takes that direction I have to remind myself that the Lord does have a plan and a purpose for this. I can't imagine what it is. It breaks my heart that I have to go through all this, see my son worry and suffer, and even if I am cured from cancer I will be handicapped the rest of my life. It's a hard lot to swallow. But it is MY lot. This is the life the Lord has given me. I could dwell all day long on the things I'll never be able to do again because of the loss of my leg, but as soon as I think "I'll never do that again," I have to gently ask the Lord to help me think on "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." I'm reminded that I was confronted with the decision of my leg or my life. I choose life. Maybe that's the big concept that I need to repeatedly be reminded of, that I DID choose life. It's so easy for me to get down when I spend most of my time sick or in the hospital but perhaps I'm not thinking of the fact that the joy that I need is to come from the Lord.

Watching this video made me think about what the Lord calls us to do. It's often the simple things in life. Like caring for a sick friend, helping her through the tough times, holding her hair and combing it gently as it falls out, showing up on your daughters doorstep to surprise her just because you missed her. Or me just simply trusting the Lord in my darkest hours, casting out doubts, and keeping my mind stayed on Him.

Anyway, I couldn't not share this video and my thoughts about it on here. I'm sorry that I don't post that often, but I just don't feel so great these days. I go back in for another round of chemo on the 29th and am then scheduled for another round the week after that. I'll have a three week break then another round. After that I will be heading back to Shands in Gainsville to have scans of my chest and then (as long as the spots haven't increased) surgery to remove the two that are there. Please pray for me in the coming months as you are always faithful to do. I'll try to keep you posted as to my progress along the way!

Take a minute (or 8 to be exact) to watch this video, it's well worth it!

3 comments:

shauna said...

Jill-
I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well right now. I can only imagine how hard the chemo must be on you physically as well as emotionally. I don't really know why God is letting you go through this pain, but I admire the fact that you still trust him. We are praying for you and thinking of you quite often. I will also be praying for the girl you met at the doctors. There are so many hurting people trying to deal with things all by themselves. Like a missionary said the other night at my church: When we know the Lord we may be helpless, but we are not hopeless. I will be praying that you meet this girl again and that you can offer her the hope we have in Christ. Love you friend <3

Anonymous said...

Jill, I can't tell how much your testimony and faith has been an influence in my life. God is using you more than you can imagine. This video really spoke to me when I watched it. There are so many times I lose sight of what God is trying to do in my life. I am too busy or just don't want to listen. Thank you for being such a faithful witness. I love you and Jared very much. I hate it has been so long since we have seen eachother. I hope we can soon. I pray for you and Jared everyday. My church family does the same. Continue to keep the faith in Jesus Christ, I know you will. Thank you so much for your inspiration.

Ashly Margritz said...

LOVE LOVE Beth Moore!! Thanks for sharing this. Although she didnt state it in this clip, I do believe that she was an amazing witness that day!! Probably more to the crowd of people that were watching. I hope you understand the signifigance of this clip and that you posted it on your blog. As a believer already myself, you dont need to convince me of the amazing power of Christ. You do however always seem to remind me of the power of FAITH. You are a tremendous encourager to all!! Which is terrible, because I just want to meet you and be able to be an encourager to YOU. So thank you once again for your amazing faith and testimony. I can even begin to fathom your thoughts or even physical condition so I just wont try. I cant come to you and leave you profound upbeat messages because I am always put in place by yours. I am so thankful to be able to read these posts. PRAYING for you!!!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beth Moore: The Hair Brush

I saw this video today and wanted to share it with you. For some reason blogger won't let me type under the video, so I'm gonna go ahead and post here first. BUT, I would much prefer you watch the video before reading what I have to say.

This video just brought me to tears. It prompted a heart to heart with my son and a discussion enabled me to gently remind him that although this is a hard time in our life God does have a plan and purpose for it.

As you can probably tell I haven't been much in the bloggy-mood lately. I have been so restless, bored, complacent, etc. Sick and tired, tired of being sick. This last round of chemo really set me back and I am just not bouncing back like I had hoped. I just have no energy to do the things I have to, therefore, I have no energy to do anything really. Top that off with not sleeping and you have a very unhappy Jill. It's been almost a year that I've been sitting on this couch recuperating from surgery and frankly I'm tired of it. The Lord has seen to clip my wings though and the only thing that gets me through the day is that hope within-my hope in Christ alone.

Last week I was at the Dr's office to get a shot and in the waiting room I met another young girl (I'm not sure how old she was but I would say early to mid-twenties) who also has cancer. She struck up a conversation with me and began to tell me how hard it was on her. She didn't seem to have any family close by or anywhere near the support system that I have. She said to me I just don't understand why some people suffer so much and other walk around perfectly happy and healthy. She had no hope whatsoever. I wanted to badly to witness to her. I knew that she just needed to come to know the Lord, but just as I started I was called back. I planned on continuing our conversation when I went back into the waiting room but she was gone. Please pray that the Lord puts me in her path again. I have those same thoughts too at times. Why do I have to suffer like this? Why are there other evil, unsaved people in perfect health? But that's where it stops for me because I know in my heart that as soon as my thinking takes that direction I have to remind myself that the Lord does have a plan and a purpose for this. I can't imagine what it is. It breaks my heart that I have to go through all this, see my son worry and suffer, and even if I am cured from cancer I will be handicapped the rest of my life. It's a hard lot to swallow. But it is MY lot. This is the life the Lord has given me. I could dwell all day long on the things I'll never be able to do again because of the loss of my leg, but as soon as I think "I'll never do that again," I have to gently ask the Lord to help me think on "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." I'm reminded that I was confronted with the decision of my leg or my life. I choose life. Maybe that's the big concept that I need to repeatedly be reminded of, that I DID choose life. It's so easy for me to get down when I spend most of my time sick or in the hospital but perhaps I'm not thinking of the fact that the joy that I need is to come from the Lord.

Watching this video made me think about what the Lord calls us to do. It's often the simple things in life. Like caring for a sick friend, helping her through the tough times, holding her hair and combing it gently as it falls out, showing up on your daughters doorstep to surprise her just because you missed her. Or me just simply trusting the Lord in my darkest hours, casting out doubts, and keeping my mind stayed on Him.

Anyway, I couldn't not share this video and my thoughts about it on here. I'm sorry that I don't post that often, but I just don't feel so great these days. I go back in for another round of chemo on the 29th and am then scheduled for another round the week after that. I'll have a three week break then another round. After that I will be heading back to Shands in Gainsville to have scans of my chest and then (as long as the spots haven't increased) surgery to remove the two that are there. Please pray for me in the coming months as you are always faithful to do. I'll try to keep you posted as to my progress along the way!

Take a minute (or 8 to be exact) to watch this video, it's well worth it!

3 comments:

shauna said...

Jill-
I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well right now. I can only imagine how hard the chemo must be on you physically as well as emotionally. I don't really know why God is letting you go through this pain, but I admire the fact that you still trust him. We are praying for you and thinking of you quite often. I will also be praying for the girl you met at the doctors. There are so many hurting people trying to deal with things all by themselves. Like a missionary said the other night at my church: When we know the Lord we may be helpless, but we are not hopeless. I will be praying that you meet this girl again and that you can offer her the hope we have in Christ. Love you friend <3

Anonymous said...

Jill, I can't tell how much your testimony and faith has been an influence in my life. God is using you more than you can imagine. This video really spoke to me when I watched it. There are so many times I lose sight of what God is trying to do in my life. I am too busy or just don't want to listen. Thank you for being such a faithful witness. I love you and Jared very much. I hate it has been so long since we have seen eachother. I hope we can soon. I pray for you and Jared everyday. My church family does the same. Continue to keep the faith in Jesus Christ, I know you will. Thank you so much for your inspiration.

Ashly Margritz said...

LOVE LOVE Beth Moore!! Thanks for sharing this. Although she didnt state it in this clip, I do believe that she was an amazing witness that day!! Probably more to the crowd of people that were watching. I hope you understand the signifigance of this clip and that you posted it on your blog. As a believer already myself, you dont need to convince me of the amazing power of Christ. You do however always seem to remind me of the power of FAITH. You are a tremendous encourager to all!! Which is terrible, because I just want to meet you and be able to be an encourager to YOU. So thank you once again for your amazing faith and testimony. I can even begin to fathom your thoughts or even physical condition so I just wont try. I cant come to you and leave you profound upbeat messages because I am always put in place by yours. I am so thankful to be able to read these posts. PRAYING for you!!!