Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Been a Year.....

It's so hard to believe that a year ago today I was laying in an ICU recovering from a hemi-pelvectomy (left leg amputation). What a difficult, scary and unsure time in my life that was. It was my decision to make and I know that I made the right decision. My leg or my life. Every day that I have been blessed with I am thankful that I made the decision I did. Especially lately when I've felt so great and truly been able to enjoy this life that the Lord has blessed me with. Cancer is truly a horrible disease. Last year was unimaginable for me. Everyday was filled with questions such as: Will I make it through this? Will I live to see another birthday? To see my son grow up? Will I EVER finish with chemo? Now on the other side of the storm I don't exactly have the answers to all of these questions but I do have something better. I have a complete trust in the Lord and how He is working in my life. I know that what He brings my way may not be ideal, but He has a purpose in growing me and drawing me closer to Him.

When my leg was amputated I was unsure of whether I would be able to thrive once I was well. I didn't know if I would be one of those people that are able to still live a full life. I was really worried about that, you know? I didn't want to be bitter and useless. I'm so very thankful to God that He has given me a tender heart and joy in spite of my circumstances. I may be missing a leg, but I still have SO MUCH! I have eyes that can see, ears that can hear, arms and hands that can touch and wrap themselves around my baby boy and loved ones. I have hair that's growing back! And even eyebrows now, lol! Most importantly, I have a Heavenly Father that loves me. I have been blessed with this amazing family that encourages me and challenges me. I have this amazing church family that has enriched my life beyond anything that I could ask for. And I have friends. Friends that are so close and dear to my heart. Friends that I wouldn't have made it through my illness without.

So, a year later what am I up to? Well after I finished chemo in March and had that last surgery to remove the nodule in my lung at the end of April I was then declared cancer free! After recovering for three weeks from that surgery Jarred and I took a trip up to Wisconsin. We got here on May 27th and will be here till July 7th. My little sister graduated from high school and we came to surprise her. Which went splendidly! This is my first trip to Wisconsin during the summer and everyday has been filled with fun, adventure and learning. I feel like my old self again. I've been very active running around with the family and back to cooking everyday. I love cooking and didn't do a whole lot of it since I had been sick. It's been so wonderful and enjoyable to cook nearly everyday and also experiment with new recipes while here. I've been spending tons of quality time with my sisters and parents as well. I've gotten to do things that I didn't imagine and quite honestly didn't think I'd be able to do such as riding a horse! Who would of thought that I'd be riding a horse with one leg. So yeah, my future is pretty bright and I'm looking forward to each day that the Lord brings my way.

I would have to say that the most valuable lesson that I've learned is not to take this life for granted. Every day is truly a blessing and I want to not only be thankful to the Lord for giving me each and every day, but I want to truly live it to the fullest. I don't want to ever limit myself or allow myself to slip into the mindset that I can't do something just because I only have one leg. Yes, things are a little more difficult for me. It takes me longer to do stuff, but it is so rewarding to actually accomplish what I set out to do.

What do I have to look forward to in the near future? Getting my prosthetic leg! I'm so excited about it. It's going to take a lot of hard work to learn how to use it, but I can't wait to walk around on my own. I can't wait to put this walker away and just walk. It looks like it will be late July or August when I get it. In the meantime though I am really enjoying my summer vacation. I have almost three more weeks here in Wisconsin with my family and I plan to savor every single day. Tomorrow is Father's Day and it will be the first Father's Day I have spent with my Dad in well over 15 years. I've planned a big Cuban feast for the day and we are going to spoil my Dad. The girls are also marching in a parade for Lake Martha Days.

I'm off to enjoy this beautiful Saturday! Here's a picture of me riding the horse last weekend :)

1 comment:

shauna said...

First of all you look great! I am so glad you're having such a great time at your parents. I'm sure it is so beautiful there right now. I thank the Lord that you made it through all that you have and that you can still know he's good and trust in him. I can only hope when it's my turn to go through a hard place I can do the same. Love ya and have fun with your family!!! <3

Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Been a Year.....

It's so hard to believe that a year ago today I was laying in an ICU recovering from a hemi-pelvectomy (left leg amputation). What a difficult, scary and unsure time in my life that was. It was my decision to make and I know that I made the right decision. My leg or my life. Every day that I have been blessed with I am thankful that I made the decision I did. Especially lately when I've felt so great and truly been able to enjoy this life that the Lord has blessed me with. Cancer is truly a horrible disease. Last year was unimaginable for me. Everyday was filled with questions such as: Will I make it through this? Will I live to see another birthday? To see my son grow up? Will I EVER finish with chemo? Now on the other side of the storm I don't exactly have the answers to all of these questions but I do have something better. I have a complete trust in the Lord and how He is working in my life. I know that what He brings my way may not be ideal, but He has a purpose in growing me and drawing me closer to Him.

When my leg was amputated I was unsure of whether I would be able to thrive once I was well. I didn't know if I would be one of those people that are able to still live a full life. I was really worried about that, you know? I didn't want to be bitter and useless. I'm so very thankful to God that He has given me a tender heart and joy in spite of my circumstances. I may be missing a leg, but I still have SO MUCH! I have eyes that can see, ears that can hear, arms and hands that can touch and wrap themselves around my baby boy and loved ones. I have hair that's growing back! And even eyebrows now, lol! Most importantly, I have a Heavenly Father that loves me. I have been blessed with this amazing family that encourages me and challenges me. I have this amazing church family that has enriched my life beyond anything that I could ask for. And I have friends. Friends that are so close and dear to my heart. Friends that I wouldn't have made it through my illness without.

So, a year later what am I up to? Well after I finished chemo in March and had that last surgery to remove the nodule in my lung at the end of April I was then declared cancer free! After recovering for three weeks from that surgery Jarred and I took a trip up to Wisconsin. We got here on May 27th and will be here till July 7th. My little sister graduated from high school and we came to surprise her. Which went splendidly! This is my first trip to Wisconsin during the summer and everyday has been filled with fun, adventure and learning. I feel like my old self again. I've been very active running around with the family and back to cooking everyday. I love cooking and didn't do a whole lot of it since I had been sick. It's been so wonderful and enjoyable to cook nearly everyday and also experiment with new recipes while here. I've been spending tons of quality time with my sisters and parents as well. I've gotten to do things that I didn't imagine and quite honestly didn't think I'd be able to do such as riding a horse! Who would of thought that I'd be riding a horse with one leg. So yeah, my future is pretty bright and I'm looking forward to each day that the Lord brings my way.

I would have to say that the most valuable lesson that I've learned is not to take this life for granted. Every day is truly a blessing and I want to not only be thankful to the Lord for giving me each and every day, but I want to truly live it to the fullest. I don't want to ever limit myself or allow myself to slip into the mindset that I can't do something just because I only have one leg. Yes, things are a little more difficult for me. It takes me longer to do stuff, but it is so rewarding to actually accomplish what I set out to do.

What do I have to look forward to in the near future? Getting my prosthetic leg! I'm so excited about it. It's going to take a lot of hard work to learn how to use it, but I can't wait to walk around on my own. I can't wait to put this walker away and just walk. It looks like it will be late July or August when I get it. In the meantime though I am really enjoying my summer vacation. I have almost three more weeks here in Wisconsin with my family and I plan to savor every single day. Tomorrow is Father's Day and it will be the first Father's Day I have spent with my Dad in well over 15 years. I've planned a big Cuban feast for the day and we are going to spoil my Dad. The girls are also marching in a parade for Lake Martha Days.

I'm off to enjoy this beautiful Saturday! Here's a picture of me riding the horse last weekend :)

1 comment:

shauna said...

First of all you look great! I am so glad you're having such a great time at your parents. I'm sure it is so beautiful there right now. I thank the Lord that you made it through all that you have and that you can still know he's good and trust in him. I can only hope when it's my turn to go through a hard place I can do the same. Love ya and have fun with your family!!! <3