I love Fall. It is by far my favorite season. I think because there is no pressure to "do" anything. It's all about pumpkin, decorating and focusing on my many blessings for me. Our tradition is to get up early on the first day of Fall to make pumpkin pancakes. We usually make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies as well. Then later in the day we decorate the house for Fall. We haven't had the time to decorate yet because we were gone all day Friday and Saturday. We've had a great weekend so far. We've spent time with good friends and family.
We also do a special craft every year to focus our minds and hearts on all of our blessings. In the past we did something called the "Thanks Jar." It was basically a large mason jar that we decorated -- with Fall decor of course -- and filled with slips of paper listing things that we are thankful for. We try to add a new slip every day. Then on Thanksgiving we read them. This year I thought up a new idea. I'm going to call it the "Garland of Gratitude!" I can't wait to make it. I'll post pics and instructions later. Basically, we are going to take a leaf template and trace leaves onto pretty fall papers and cut them out. Then Jarred and I will write down the things we are thankful for on the leaves. I think to save room, there will be 60+ leaves if we do it every day, we will each use one leaf per day and write on both sides. Him on the front, me on the back. Then we will punch a hole in the stem and string it onto some pretty orange ribbon and hang it in the living room. Come Thanksgiving I will be taking it with me to Panama City and we will read them with our family there. It is always such a blessing to read through the slips of paper at the end. Even more so to read them years later, as we keep them all.
In addition to focusing on our many blessings this season, I also want to focus on giving. So every day we will try to do something for others. Find ways to bless others in some small way. It doesn't have to be something of material value either. There are so many ways that you can bless people. I've found in my life that some of the biggest blessings are just offering up your time. Time is such a valuable commodity.
Today we went to PCC to pick up my sister, Rachel, and spend the day with her. After we picked her up we went to a small park by the Bay and had a picnic. Then we shopped all day long. It was SO much fun. I just love spending time with my sisters. We went to one of my favorite stores, World Market, and I picked up a bunch of pumpkin stuff to cook with. I'll share more on that another day :) We had a fantastic day and such a great time hanging out.
Here's an angelic picture of us!
I'll be posting two pumpkin recipes for you tomorrow, so stay tuned :)



1 comment:
Cute picture :) I'm glad you had a fun day with Rachel. Did you see the link I sent to your skype about pumpkin twinkies??? ;)
Post a Comment